Sunday, March 24, 2013

Macro March: It's in the details

macro march
detail from carving by Tom Reid

Wikipedia defines macro (photography) as "...extreme close-up photography, usually of very small subjects, in which the size of the subject in the photograph is greater than life size "

With good focus, lighting and framing, macros frequently bring out detail hidden to the naked eye, and I love presenting pieces from the gift shop in this way. It's very difficult to politely scrutinise work intensely when visiting the gift shop (though we do want you to appreciate it fully while here) so I use the macros to get up close and personal with artist's work.

macro march
detail from chainmaille by Luci Gimenes

I don't use a fancy lens or camera, just a point-and-shoot Olympus or my android smartphone - as long as the focus is set to macro and my hand is steady, the pieces usually talk for themselves.

No comments: